Biography of William TRIPP

William TRIPP was born about 1736, probably in Tiverton, RI, and died in 1802, in Queensbury, NY (present day Glens Falls, NY). He is probably buried in the Quaker burial grounds. He married Philadelphia (or Phoebe) WILCOX (or Willcocks) 26 June 1758/1759.

Perhaps first moving to the Dutchess County "Oblong", William TRIPP removed to a farm at Halfway Brook near Queensbury, New York prior to the Revolutionary War with other Quaker families. He had sold his farm in Tiverton, RI to his brother John TRIPP, who married Elizabeth Joselin. His father, Thomas TRIPP, is thought to have joined son, William TRIPP, in later life at Queensbury. William and Philadelphia had children: Thomas TRIPP, James TRIPP and Jonathan TRIPP.

During the American Revolutionary War, William removed his family temporarily from Halfway Brook in Queensbury to Dutchess County in 1780 due to the dangers and depredations, in the Queensbury area, wrought by the native americans allied to the British and Tories. His land was released from quitrents in 1786 (for the time period of the war) because all his improvements to the farm had been destroyed.

William TRIPP married again, sometime after 1765, to Lois WAITE (who may have been a cousin since the grandmother of William TRIPP was a WAITE of Rhode Island). They had son William TRIPP by this marriage. This is the son, William, mentioned in his Will.

Will of William Tripp

Sources

© 2009 Mark Fields. This work may be reproduced and redistributed, in whole or in part, without alteration and without prior written permission solely for genealogy research purposes, provided all copies contain the following statement: " © 2009 Mark Fields. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of Mark Fields, his heirs, or assigns."

Return to group sheet

Quakers in Queensbury

There was a large Quaker community in Queensbury New York (present day Glens Falls) by 1767. The Quaker burial grounds are still intact but the original meeting house, built of logs, has long since disappeared.

The farmhouse William built still stands on Ridge Road however an "L" has been added. Brick siding was added in 1855.

     William Tripp house

"Halfway Brook bisected the fifteen dangerous miles between Fort William Henry and Fort Edward. During the French and Indian War this brook was noted as a halting place and rendezvous for passing troops and convoys of supplies between the two forts. Because its crossing was so familiar to the warring parties, many a bloody ambush, surprise or savage foray took place there.", Bridging the Years Glens Falls, New York 1763-1978, Glens Falls Historical Association, 1978, pg 11