Biography of Guy Lee FIELDS

No one can say where the name Guy originated. It was not a family name that was passed down. His middle name Lee was from his father. Guy was born the eldest of 13 children in 1901. He was baptized at the Morningside Baptist Church, Graham, Texas. Throughout his life he was a religious man and sang in the church choir, and otherwise by himself, with a beautiful baritone voice. It is presumed that he attended the Baptist Church before his marriage and the Church of Christ afterwards. The Hargrave family were Church of Christ.

As a young man, Guy was only able to attain a grammar school education. He worked continually to help support the large family of his father at the family ranch. Life was difficult in the 1930’s. And working on the ranch could be dangerous as well as hard. Royce HOLMAN told how once, during the winter, Guy was out in the fields and was returning home. It was a sunny day but cold. He decided to take a shortcut across a sandstone bluff that was known to harbor rattlesnakes. Like all good country boys, he knew the snakes would not be a problem in cold weather. However the rocks had heated up from the radiant heat of the sun. Guy was bitten is the leg which swelled up so much, the skin split open.

He was devoted to his mother and took care of her most of his life. He enlisted in the army 19 Sep 1942 but was discharged early to help support his mother and siblings. According to his brother, Edwin FIELDS, he was very embarrassed about the discharge because all the other men were serving.

Sometime between 1942 and 1943, he met Martha Lena HARGRAVE while picking cotton and they were married in May 1943. He worked as a farm laborer and railroad laborer. During these first few years, he worked briefly for a rancher in west Texas. Times were better and the rancher liked him and wanted to set him up full time. However, for some family related reasons, he returned to Jack County, Texas. From that time on, it was difficult to make a living and put food on the table. The marriage ended in divorce. The children by this marriage went to live with relatives and all grew up as foster children.

Guy lived out his days on the family ranch and worked as a laborer. One of his daughters reported that he was proud, in his older years, that he could still keep up with the younger men at work. As his army discharge reported, he was a man of excellent character. He was quiet and unassuming and did his best with limited prospects. He died in 1966 from cardiac arrest brought on by illness from carcinoma of the pancreas.

© 2006 Mark L. Fields. This work may be reproduced and redistributed, in whole or in part, without alteration and without prior written permission solely for genealogy research purposes, provided all copies contain the following statement: "© 2006 Mark L. Fields. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of Mark L. Fields."

Return to group sheet


At the time of enlistment, he was 68 inches tall and weighed 177 pounds. He had black hair, brown eyes and a ruddy complexion. Blood type O.

Anecdote: Guy rode his horse to town to King’s store at Bryson one day. The old timers were sitting around talking and probably playing a game of dominoes when Guy rode up to the feed store. Guy got a large sack of feed and put it on the back of his horse and then he mounted up. Once on the horse Guy lifted the sack of feed and put it on his shoulder. The men at the store asked him why he did this. Guy told them that the horse was good enough to carry him into town, the least he could do was to carry the feed.

That horse’s name was Butterfly. Guy also raised beagle dogs and homing pigeons. He was a great animal lover.