History of the town of Berlin, Rensselaer County, NY

The following information is relevant to one or more individuals documented at www.relativelyconnected.com. Note: Berlin is pronounced Bu (as in buttress) - lun (as in lawn).


Berlin was formed from Petersburgh, Schodack, and Stephentown, March 21, 1806. A portion of Sand Lake was taken off in 1812. It lies near the center of the E. border of the co. Its surface consists of 2 ranges of mountains separated by a narrow valley extending n. and s. The hilly region is wild and broken, and the declivities are generally precipitous. The principal streams are Kinderhook Creek, flowing s., and Little Hoosick River, flowing n. The headwater of these streams are but a few rods apart, near S. Berlin. The w. part of the town is covered with forest, in which are several fine lakes. The soil in the valley is gravelly loam, but among the mountains it is a hard sterile clay intermixed or covered with fragments of rock. Berlin, (p.v.) containing 326 inhabitants, South Berlin (p.v.) and Center Berlin, (p.v.) are all situated in the valley of the Little Hoosick. West Berlin is a p.o. Godfrey Brimmer located near N. Berlin in 1765. (3) The first church (Seventh Day Bap.) was formed at N. Berlin, Dec. 1780; Wm. Coon was the first preacher.

[footnote]

(3) Among the other early settlers were Reuben Bonesteel and a family name Richer, who came in soon after Mr. Brimmer. In 1769, Peter Simmons and Jacob O. Cropsey lived at the Hollow, and in the same year Daniel Hull and Joseph Green came into town. Col. Bentley settled near N. Berlin, and Thos. Sweet, a blacksmith, at S. Berlin. Jas. Green, a son of Joseph G., died in 1857, aged 100 years. Daniel Hull kept the first tavern before the Revolution, and Hezekiah Hull opened an inn soon after the war. Caleb Bentley built the first grist mill, and Amos Sweet, the first saw-mill, 1780. Dr. John Forbes, the first physician, located at S, Berlin in 1775. Soon after the battle of Lexington, two companies were formed in this and the adjacent towns, a part of whom were stationed at D. Hull’s for local protection; the others were engaged elsewhere in active service.

Source: French, J., H. , Gazetteer of the State of New York, 1860, pub. R. Pearsall Smith, Syracuse, N. Y., p.554

 

BACK